Republic Services is a leader in the solid waste industry with 31,000 employees nationally and 1,254 of those split between its Phoenix headquarters and 22 business facilities across Arizona.
The company provides recycling and solid waste services to 15 million commercial, industrial, municipal and residential customers across the United States; recycling roughly 5.5 million tons of material each year.
Those efforts make a huge impact when you consider these eye-opening recycling facts:
- We each throw away 4.4 pounds of trash each day, but recycle only 1.5 pounds.
- The average U.S. household throws away 125 pounds of trash per week.
- Next to paper, we throw more food away than any other item. Food waste accounts for roughly 15 percent of everything thrown away last year.
- Eight of 10 plastic bottles end up in landfills. A plastic water bottle can take up to 700 years to decompose in a landfill. Recycled plastic bottles can be repurposed into fleece jackets and playground equipment.
- Twenty-four billion newspapers, two billion books and 350 million magazines are printed in the U.S. annually. Recycling one ton of paper saves enough energy to power the average American household for six months.
- Every 90 days, Americans throw away enough aluminum to rebuild the nation’s commercial airliner fleet. Recycling one ton of aluminum cans conserves 1,665 gallons of gasoline.
- Approximately 75 percent of thrown-away solid waste is recyclable, according to the EPA.
Republic is dedicated to maintaining a balance between its business operations and protecting the environment and communities it serves.
The company operates 178 collection trucks within the Greater Phoenix area; 19 percent of which is powered by compressed natural gas (CNG). Republic operates 280 collection trucks statewide.
Republic’s Blue Planet sustainability initiative is defining the company’s approach to environmental responsibility through decreased vehicle emissions, innovative landfill technologies, use of renewable energy, community engagement and employee growth opportunities.
Click here to view Republic’s annual Sustainability Report.
– Written by Josh Coddington, marketing and communications manager, Greater Phoenix Chamber of Commerce. This article is part of the Chamber’s Business Buzz newsletter.