JOB TITLE: Senior Accountant
REPORTS TO: Vice President Finance & Operations
STATUS: Exempt / Full–Time
Greater Phoenix Chamber
The Greater Phoenix Chamber (Chamber) is the leading business organization for the Phoenix region. We catalyze regional prosperity with forward thinking public policy, intentional economic growth, and diverse, prepared talent. We accomplish this by building a policy environment where businesses thrive, serving as a resource and voice for AZ economic data and policy, and developing and attracting a skilled, talented, diverse workforce to meet demands of growth industries.
Greater Phoenix Chamber Foundation
The Greater Phoenix Chamber Foundation (the Foundation) convenes and catalyzes business, education, and community to enhance college and career readiness, develop a stronger workforce, and build healthier communities throughout Arizona. The Foundation, a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, leads the charitable and education initiatives of the Greater Phoenix Chamber under the four pillars of education, workforce development, wellness, and research. Through stronger alignment between education, business, and community, the Foundation prepares individuals for college and career and serves as an intermediary to convey workforce needs and champion scalable workforce solutions. In addition, the Foundation makes Arizona and the Greater Phoenix region known as destinations for healthy talent and healthy communities through workplace wellness efforts and publishes data-driven research to inform policymakers, business leaders, and the general public.
Who are we looking for today?
We are interested in hiring people who have a passion for Phoenix and a desire to make the Greater Phoenix region a wonderful place to live, work, and play. Ideal candidates will bring a passion for working to improve lives, expand economic prosperity, and foster collective action and impact with industry-sector leadership and community and education partners.
We are looking for a detail-oriented senior accountant to perform and coordinate accounting duties within our organization. The senior accountant’s responsibilities include preparing financial reports, performing account reconciliations, maintaining the general ledger, prepare supporting schedules for tax returns, assisting with audit preparations, and performing other accounting duties as assigned. To be successful as a senior accountant, you should have a solid working knowledge of nonprofit Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and strong financial analysis skills. An outstanding senior accountant should also possess strong Excel skills, be detail-oriented, highly organized, and able to work with little to no supervision as well as meet deadlines when required.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinate accounting functions and month-end closing process
- Preparing financial analyses, reports, and forecasts
- Assisting with preparing and monitoring budgets
- Maintaining and reconciling balance sheet and general ledger accounts
- Assist with annual audit preparations
- Assist with the preparation of various tax returns
- Review and approve payroll, 401(k) administration and activity
- Performing other accounting duties and supporting staff as required or assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance or equivalent related work experience
- 3+ years of accounting experience (preferably in the nonprofit sector)
- Working knowledge of tax laws and GAAP (preferably in the nonprofit sector)
- Strong financial analysis skills
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal and effective organizational skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Excel (prefer experience with Bill.com, ADP, Sage 50)
- Ability to work independently and utilize problem solving skills when necessary
- Ability to learn quickly and embrace innovative change
Qualified candidates should respond by sending a confidential cover letter, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com. Please include the position in the subject line of your submission.
Hybrid/Remote work options are available.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Equal Employment Opportunity at The Chamber: The Chamber affirms that inequality is detrimental to our associates, our members, and the communities we serve. Our goal is to impact lasting change through our actions. Together, we unite for equality and equity. The Chamber is committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of any protected characteristic, including race, color, genetic information, creed, national origin, religion, sex, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, lawful alien status, ancestry, age, marital status, or protected veteran status and will not discriminate against anyone on the basis of a disability. We support an inclusive workplace where associates excel based on personal merit, qualifications, experience, ability, and job performance.
Ethics: The Chamber has a long, proud history of conducting business with the highest ethical standards and full compliance with all applicable laws. We also expect our people to uphold our values with the highest level of integrity and behave in a manner that fosters an honest and respectful workplace.